- 500 g (1 lb 2 oz) plain flour
- 50 g (2 oz) shelled peanuts
- 2 medium-sized carrots, peeled and sliced
- 100 g (4 oz) green pigeon peas
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 50 ml (2 fl. oz) milk
- 1 egg, beaten
- 25 g (1 oz) margarine, melted
- 100 g (4 oz) soft breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- strips of red and green sweet pepper to garnish
- 500 ml (1 pt) water
|Boil pigeon peas in 500 ml (1 pt) water until almost tender. Blanch and mince nuts. Add carrots and 1 ml spoon (1/4 teasp.) salt to peas and cook until tender. Drain.
Lightly fry onion in a little oil until soft.
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients together, stirring well. Season.
Place mixture in a greased loaf tin. Bake at 180Â°C (350Â°F), Gas Mark 4 for about 15-20 minutes, or until golden brown.
Allow to cool slightly, then turn out loaf on to a warmed platter and garnish with pepper strips.Serves 4.
If you enjoyed this Caribbean Recipe, make sure you
Or share the recipe with your friends: