COO-COO RECIPE – BARBADOS
- 12 Okra
- 1.5 litres/ 2 1/2 pints water
- good pinch of salt
- 250g/8oz yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 25g/1oz butter
- Cooked sweet potatoes
- sliced tomatoes
- slices pimentos
How To Make Coo-Coo:
- wash the okra and cut off the stems. Cut them into 5mm/ 1/4-inch thick slices. Bring the water to the boil in a large saucepan and add the prepared okra and the salt. Boil until tender.
- Slowly add the cornmeal to the saucepan in a thin stream, stirring all the time with a wooden spoon. Keep stirring to prevent any lumps forming and removing any cornmeal from the sides of the pan.
- Add the sugar and continue cooking over moderate heat for about 5-10 minutes, stirring all the time. When cooked, the coo-coo mixture will be thick and smooth.
- Place the butter in a warmed rounded bowl or basin and add the coo-coo. Roll it around in the bowl until it forms a ball. Serve, cut into slice with sweet potatoes, tomatoes and pimentos.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Recipe published in Hamlyn Essential Caribbean: Step-by-step Recipes with Style
If you enjoyed this Caribbean Recipe, make sure you
Or share the recipe with your friends: