Papayas are now coming into season, so it’s a great time to tryout this amazing Papaya Nut Cake Recipe.
Papaya Nut Cake Ingredients:
- 4 oz (113 g) shortening
- 8 oz (227 g) granulated sugar
- 4 oz (113 g) dark brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- ½ tsp almond essence
- 6 oz (168 g) walnuts, chopped, plus extra for decorating
- 1 lb (454 g) hard yellow papaya (papaw), grated
- 1 small soft ripe papaya (papaw), mashed
- 14 oz (396 g) plain flour
- 4 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp mixed spice
- 2 tbsp dark molasses
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cinnamon
How to Make Papaya Nut Cake:
- Cream the shortening and sugars until light.Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond essence, nuts and shredded and mashed papaya.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder and mixed spice together and gradually add to the egg mixture to make a stiff batter. Combine the molasses, baking soda, oil and cinnamon with 1 tablespoon water.
- Gently fold into the cake batter. Pour into a 9 x 9 x 1 ¾ -inch (22.5 x 22.5 x 4-cm) cake pan. Sprinkle some chopped walnuts over the top. Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes.
If you enjoyed this Caribbean Recipe, make sure you
Or share the recipe with your friends: