Beef Stew Recipe Ingredients:
- 200 g (8 oz) stewing beef (shin or shoulder)
- 5 ml spoon (1 tsp) salt
- 2 ml spoon (1/2 tsp) pepper
- 2 blades chives, chopped
- 1 spring thyme, chopped
- 1 medium-sized onion, peeled and chopped
- 3 x 15 ml spoon (3 tbsp.) oil
- 5 ml spoon (1 tsp) brown sugar OR 1 x 15 ml spoon (1 tbsp.) gravy browning
- 500 ml (1 pt) cold water
- 15 ml spoon (1 tbsp.) vinegar
- 15 ml spoon (1 tbsp.) flour
|Beef Stew Recipe Instructions:|
Wipe meat and remove excess fat and gristle. Cut into neat cubes and season with salt, pepper, chives and thyme. Heat oil in a deep pot or frying pan. Add sugar and cook gently until dissolved. If using gravy browning, add at this stage. Add onion and fry gently until soft. Add meat and brown on all sides. Add water and vinegar, and bring to the boil. Simmer gently, covered, for 1-1 1/2 hours.
About 5 minutes before completion of cooking, mix flour to a smooth paste with a little cold water. Add to stew and blend well.Serve with rice, dumplings or a starchy vegetable.Serve 2.
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: