- 500g/llb fresh callaloo or spinach leaves
- 3 tablespoons groundnut oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- sprig of thyme, crumbled
- 250g/8oz okra, sliced thinly
- 900ml/11/2 pints chicken stock
- few strands of saffron
- 425ml/14 fl oz coconut milk
- 250g/8oz crab meat, fresh or canned
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- juice of 1/2 lime
- dash of hot pepper sauce
How To Make Bajan Style Callaloo Soup:
- Wash the callaloo or spinach leaves thoroughly under running cold water to remove any dirt. Drain, shake dry and then roughly chop them, cutting out and discarding any hard stems.
- Heat the groundnut oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, spring onions and garlic. Fry gently for 5 minutes, or until softened. Add the red chilli, turmeric and thyme, and stir over low heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in the okra and then add the chopped callaloo or spinach leaves. Turn up the heat and cook, stirring, until the leaves start to wilt. Reduce the heat and add the chicken stock and saffron. Bring to the boil, and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and crab meat and stir well. Heat gently for 4-5 minutes and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Just before serving, stir in the lime juice and hot pepper sauce.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Recipe published in Hamlyn Essential Caribbean: Step-by-step Recipes with Style
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: