This Caribbean Rice Recipe makes a delicious side; goes great with jerk-style meats and with seafood because the sweetness of the coconut milk works well with the spices.
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 cup long-grain parboiled rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 3/4 cups (1/4-inch) cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh or1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
Bring broth and coconut milk to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; add rice. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; keep warm. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium. Add squash; cook 8 minutes or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in thyme and remaining ingredients; cook 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring occasionally. Add rice to squash mixture, stirring to combine ~ Serves 6
Recipe from Cooking Light, November 2002.
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: