Cashew Apple Chutney Ingredients:
- 1 lb (454 g) onions, finely chopped
- ½ pint (280 ml) vinegar
- 2 lb (908 g) steamed cashew fruit
- 4 oz (113 g) dried fruit
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp pickling spice
- 12 oz (340 g) sugar
How to Make Cashew Apple Chutney:
- Put the onions into a saucepan with 4 tablespoons vinegar and simmer until just tender. Chop the cashew coarsely.
- Add to the saucepan with the dried fruit, salt, ginger and the pickling spice (tied in muslin), and enough vinegar to stop the mixture from burning. Simmer until the fruit is soft, stirring from time to time.
- Add the remainder of the vinegar and thoroughly stir in the sugar. Boil steadily until the chutney is thick. Remove the pickling spices. Pour into hot jars and cover.
Makes: 3 x 20-oz (560-g) jars
This chutney can be eaten straightaway or stored for a while to allow the flavours to develop.
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: