Chicken Chop Suey Recipe – This exotic dish is from our Oriental heritage. There are large communities of Chinese in Jamaica, Trinidad and Guyana.
- 2 Garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp shee-yow
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp cooking wine
- 3 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 2 chicken, cut into small pieces
- 1/4 foo-chuk*
- 8oz can bamboo shoots,drained
- 2oz dried chines mushrooms
- 1/2cup water
- 1/4cup chopped green onions
- 1/4cup grated carrots
- piece of green (fresh) ginger, finely chopped
- salt to taste
How To Make Chicken Chop Suey:
- Combine green ginger, garlic, salt, sugar, pepper, shee-yow, oyster sauce and cooking wine. Pour chicken and marinate for 30 minutes.
- Fry chicken, with marinade, in oil for 5 minutes; add foo-chuk, bamboo shoots and Chinese mushrooms. Add 1/2 cup water. Simmer on low heat 15-20 minutes. When completed, add green onions and grated carrots.
*Foo-chuk is a bean curd available at chineese groceries.
Recipe by Dr Betty and Published in Caribbean Cuisine Cookbook.