- 2.oz butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1.2 litre or 2 pints chicken stock
- 4 ripe avocados
- 8.oz crab meat, fresh or canned
- 300ml/ 1/2 pint single cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- slice avocado
- chopped chives or coriander
How To Make Chilled Avocado Soup:
- Melt the better in a large saucepan over low heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir well. Cook gently, without coloring, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Stir in the flour and cook gently stirring continuously, for 1-2 minutes. Do not allow the flour to brown. Add the chicken stock, a little at a time, and continue stirring until the flour is mixed in thoroughly and liquid is smooth and free for lumps. Bring to the boil and ten reduce the heat.
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the thick green rind and stones. Place the flesh in a bowl and mash well with a fork. Add the crab meat and mix thoroughly together.
- Add the mashed avocado and crab meat to the soup and simmer gently for 15-20 minutes. Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool. Cover and chill in the refrigerator. Serve chilled, garnished with slice avocado and chives or coriander.
Preparation: 10 minutes + Chilling Time
Cooking: 30-35 minutes
Recipe published in Hamlyn Essential Caribbean: Step-by-step Recipes with Style
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: