Creole Poached Fish or Poisson en Blaff, is the easiest way to prepare delicious Caribbean style creole fish with red snapper(or any other type Red-fish), poached in white wine, marinated in lime juice, crushed allspice and garlic with the seasoning and chopped chilli.
Poached Fish can it be prepared in 10 minutes or less, and it will not stink up the house the way broiling or frying fish can, and it tastes simply delicious.
Creole Poached Fish Recipe Ingredients:
- 4 Small red snappers
- 600ml/ 1 pint water
- 150ml/ 1/4 pint dry white wine
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 garlic cove, peeled
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of parley
- A few chives
- 1 fresh red chilli
- 2 allspice berries
- Boiled rice and fried bananas, to serve
For the marinade::
- Juice of 4 limes
- 2 allspice berries, crushed
- 2 garlic coves, crushed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 fresh red chilli, seed and finely chopped
How To Make Creole Poached Fish:
- Wash, clean and scale the red snappers. leaving the heads and tails on. Put dry with absorbent kitchen paper and place the fish in a shallow bowl.
- Make the marinade: mix together the lime juice, crushed allspice and garlic with the seasoning and chopped chilli. Pour over the fish and leave to marinade in a cool place for 1 hour.
- Put the water wine, onion, spring onions, and garlic in a large saucepan. Make a bouquet garni with the thyme, bay leaf, parsley, and chives and tie together in a small bundle. Prick the chilli all over with a fork, and add to the pan with the bouquet garni and allspice berries.
- Bring to the boil and then add the marinated fish. When the liquid returns to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until cooked. Discard the bouquet garni. Remove the fish and serve in bowls with the poaching liquid ladled over the top. Serve with rice and fried bananas.
Preparation: 10 minutes + Marinating Time
Recipe published in Hamlyn Essential Caribbean: Step-by-step Recipes with Style
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: