- 1 lbs filleted white fish, e.g. bass, bream, plus heads, bones and trimmings
- 1.8 liters/ 3 pints water
- 8oz cooked prawns
- 4 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crusted
- 1 small green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 3 tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- strip of lime peel
- 2 cloves
- 2 allspice berries
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- dash of lime juice
How To Make Caribbean Fish Soup:
- Put the fish heads, bones and trimmings in a large saucepan with the water.shell the prawns and add the heads, tails and shells to the fish trimmings in the pan with the black peppercorns and bay leaf. Reserve the shelled prawns.
- Place the pan over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and cover the pan, and then simmer gently for 30 minutes. stain the fish stock through a sieve into a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the onion, garlic and green pepper. Saute until the onion in softened and golden. Add the spring onions, tomatoes and continue cooking for 2 minutes, Stirring.
- Add the reserved fish stock, saffron, lime peel, cloves and allspice berries. Bring to the boil and ten reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Add the white fish fillets and prawns and cook gently for 10 minutes. Season to taste and add a dash of lime juice. Serve hot.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking:1 hour and 10 minutes
Recipe published in Hamlyn Essential Caribbean: Step-by-step Recipes with Style
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: