- 25 g (1 oz) margarine
- 1 small onion, peeled and chopped
- 100 g (4 oz) piece of salted meat, chopped, or bacon scraps (optional)
- 400 g (1 lb) green pigeon peas
- 100 g (4 oz) pumpkin, peeled and chopped
- 1 litre (1 ? pt) water or chicken stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 15 ml spoon (1 tbsp.) flour
|Melt margarine in a large saucepan. Add onion and salted meat, if used, and cook gently until onion is soft but not browned.Add pigeon peas, water or stock, pumpkin, seasoning and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes or 10 minutes if using a pressure cooker.
Mix flour to a smooth paste with a little water. Add to soup and stir well. Blend in a liquidizer for a few seconds. Return to pan and reheat.
Serve at once garnished with grated cheese.
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: