Ingredients for shortcrust pastry:
- 200 g (8 oz) plain flour
- 1 ml spoon (1/4 teasp.) salt
- 100 g (4 oz) fat (1/2 vegetable shortening and 1/2 margarine)
- cold water to bind
Ingredients for filling:
- 400 g (1 lb) ground beef
- 5 ml spoon (1 teasp.) fresh thyme
- 5 ml spoon (1 teasp.) onion powder
- 5 ml spoon (1 teasp.) salt
- 2 stalks escallinons, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 x 15 ml spoon (2 tbsp.) tomato ketchup
- 2 x 15 ml spoon (2 tbsp.) oil
- 25 g (1 oz) breadcrumbs
- 125 ml (1/4 pt) warm water
- beaten egg or milk to glaze
|Make shortcrust pastry (see Mammy-apple Pie).Mix meat with remaining ingredients except oil, breadcrumbs and water. Leave to stand for 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a large frying pan. Add meat mixture and cook gently, stirring occasionally, for about 10-15 minutes. Pour off excess oil.Add breadcrumbs and warm water to the meat and cook for another 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, roll out pastry to 3 mm (1/8 in) thick. Cut into 12 circles, each about 12.5 cm (5 in) in diameter.
Place spoonfuls of the meat mixture on one side of each circle. Damp edges of each circle with water. Fold pastry over meat and press edges together. Pinch to seal.
Put patties on an ungreased baking sheet. Prick tops with a fork and brush with beaten egg or milk. Bake at 220Â°C (425Â°F), Gad Mark 7, for 20-30 minutes, or until golden brown. Serve hot or cold with a dark-green leafy vegetable or salad.
Makes about 12 patties.
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: