Braised oxtail and pork belly with red wine Ingredients
- 3 tbsp plain flour
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1.7kg oxtail, cut into sections
- 300g pork belly, cut into 3cm sections
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 300ml red or white wine
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 500ml water or stock
- 10 small pickling onions, peeled
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, cut in 4cm lengths
- 4 garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped parsley
How to Prepare Braised oxtail and pork belly with red wine:
- Mix flour, salt and pepper, add oxtail and pork and toss to coat. Heat oven to 160C. Heat oil in a deep, heavy-bottomed pan and fry meats on both sides until browned. Place in a large, lidded casserole dish.
- Add red wine to the pan and bring to the boil, scraping the good bits off the base for extra flavour. Add tomato paste and water or stock, stirring. Add onions, carrots, garlic, oregano and bay leaves to the oxtail, then pour red wine mixture over the top.
- Cover tightly and cook in oven for three hours. Skim off oil or, if you have time, refrigerate overnight, then remove top layer of fat. Reheat gently, stir in parsley and serve.
Chef: Chef: Jill Dupleix, Photo: Marina Oliphant, Source: The Sydney Morning Herald
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: