- 100 g (4 oz) peas (pigeon, split or blackeye peas, or soya beans)
- 1 small, dry coconut
- 2 x 15 ml spoon (3 tbsp.) oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped
- 250 g (10 oz) cooked saltbeef or pig’s tail, washed and cut into small pieces
- 200 g (8 oz) rice
- salt to taste
- 125 g (5 oz) shrimps, fresh or dried
|Wash peas and soak overnight in 500 ml (1 pt) water.
Grate the coconut. Pour on 500 ml (1 pt) water. Squeeze well through a damp cloth.
Heat oil in a heavy-based saucepan. Add onion and cooked meat and fry gently for about 15 minutes.
Drain peas and add to saucepan. Stir well for 5 minutes.
Add about 250 ml (1/2 pt) water. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30-40 minutes, or until peas are tender. Add coconut milk, rice and salt to taste. Stir well, cover saucepan again and boil rapidly for 5 minutes. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for about 25 minutes, or until rice grains are fluffy and separate. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking. Serve hot.Serves 3-4.
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: