Pepperpot Soup Recipe Ingredients:
Caribbean Pepperpot soup with lean beef, pork, Callaloo or Spinach Leaves, dumplings, potatoes, garlic, onion, and red bell peppers. Perfect soup recipe for those long rainy days.
- 1kg/2lb lean stewing beef
- 250g/8oz lean pork
- 1.8 litres/ 3 pints water
- 500g/1 lb kale, chopped
- 500g/1 lb Callaloo or spinach leaves, washed & chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 2 spring onions, chopped
- 250g/8oz yam, peeled and sliced
- 1 large potato, sliced
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 24 okra, trimmed and sliced
- 25g/1oz butter
- 150ml/ ¼ pint coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the ‘dumplings’:
- 250g/8oz flour
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 25g/ 1oz margarine
How To Make Caribbean Style Pepperpot Soup:
- Trim any fat from the beef and pork and cut the meat into cubes, place in a large saucepan with the water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pan and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Add the kale, callaloo or spinach leaves, onion, green peppers, spring onions, yam, potato, thyme, and garlic. Simmer gently in the covered pan for 15-30 minute, until the vegetables are tender and the meat in cooked.
- While the soup is cooking, make the ‘dumplings’. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a bowl and rub in the magazine. Add sufficient water to mix to stiff dough. Knead until soft and smooth and shape into 18 balls. Flatten them and cook in salted boiling water for 10 minutes.
- In a frying pan, fry the okra in the butter until golden brown on both sides. Remove and drain. Add to the soup with the coconut milk, and simmer for 5 minutes. Season to taste and serve in individual bowls with the hot ‘dumplings’
Preparation: 30 minutes
Recipe published in Hamlyn Essential Caribbean: Step-by-step Recipes with Style
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: