PICKLED FISH RECIPE – JAMAICA
Pickled Fish Ingredients
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 green peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1kg/ 21b white fish fillets
- 450ml/ 3/4 pint water
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 piece fresh root ginger, peeled and chopped
- 6 peppercorns
- 1/8 teaspoon mace
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 150ml/ 1/4 pint malt vinegar
For the garnish:
- black olives
- sweet red pimientos
How To Make Pickled Fish:
- Heat 4 tablespoons of the oil in a large, heavy frying pan and add the onions and peppers. Fry over gende until the onions are tender and en and the peppers are soft. Remove a perforated spoon and set aside.
- In the oil remaining in the pan, fry the white fish fillets until they are lightly browned on both sides, turning once. Lift out the fillets and arrange them in a large serving dish. Place the onions and peppers on top of the fish.
- Put the water in a saucepan with the bay leaf, ginger, peppercorns and mace. Season with salt and pepper and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Add the remaining olive oil and the vinegar and simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Strain the liquid and discard the bay leaf and spices. Pour the strained liquid over the fish fillets, onions and peppers. This dish can either be served hot, or it can be cooled and then chilled before serving cold. Garnish with black olives and pimientos.
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 25 – 30 minutes
Serves: 8 (As a first course)
Recipe published in Hamlyn Essential Caribbean: Step-by-step Recipes with Style
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: