Black beans and rice is such a classic combination, especially in Caribbean or Southern cooking. There are probably dozens of ways to make it; this one is an easy recipe that cooks up quick and tastes great.I recommend mixing some chopped up canned green mix vegetables,for giving an additional boost to basic black beans and rice.
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced (if not roasted red bell peppers or some chopped pimentos)
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 16-ounce cans of black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 Tbsp white vinegar
- A few dashes of Tabasco or 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 1 heaping Tbsp chopped fresh oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional Lime wedges and cilantro for garnish
1 Cook rice according to package instructions. White rice usually takes 15 minutes to cook once the water is simmering, and 10 minutes to sit.
2 Heat oil in a large skillet on medium high. SautÃ© onions and bell peppers for 3-4 minutes, until just beginning to soften, then add garlic and sautÃ© a minute more. Add the black beans, vinegar and Tabasco or cayenne. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
3 Stir in rice and oregano. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: