Ingredients for shorcrust pastry:
- 200 g (8 oz) plain flour
- 1 ml spoon (1/4 teasp.) salt
- 100 g (4 oz) fat (1/2 vegetable shortening and 1/2 margarine)
- cold water to bind
Ingredients for filling:
- 1 large squash, peeled and diced
- 100 g (4 oz) sugar
- 25 ml spoon (1,5 tbsp.) lemon juice
- 5 ml spoon (1 teasp.) cinnamon
- 125 ml (1/4 pt) water
- 100 g (4 oz) nuts, chopped
- 25 ml spoon (1,5 tbsp.) cornflour blended with 2 x 25 ml spoon (3 tbsp.) water
- beaten egg or milk to glaze
- a little sugar
|Make shortcrust pastry (see Mammy-apple Pie) roll out half to line an 18 cm (7 in) pie dish.Put squash, sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon and water into a saucepan. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Add chopped nuts and blended cornflour. Stir well. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture becomes smooth and glossy. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Place filling in lined pie dish. Roll out remaining pastry for lid. Roll out remaining pastry for lid. Damp edges of pie with water and cover with pastry lid, pressing edges well together. Trim edge and pinch to seal.
Prick pastry lid with a fork and brush with beaten egg or milk. Bake at 220Â°C (425Â°F), Gas Mark 7, for 15-20 minutes, or until pastry is golden brown.
Remove pie from oven and sprinkle with a little sugar. Serve hot with a custard sauce.
Never miss a recipe!
Or share the recipe with your friends: