Tuna in Tomato Sauce Recipe Ingredients:
- 4 tuna steaks
- juice of 2 limes
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 fresh red chilli, seeded and crushed
- pinch of salt
- 300ml/ 1/2 pint water
- flour for dredging
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 spring onions, chopped
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
- 3 tomatoes, skinned and chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- sprig of fresh thyme
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50ml/ 2 fl oz dry white “wine or water
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- lime wedges
How To Make Tuna in Tomato Sauce
- Put the tuna steaks in a shallow dish. Blend together the lime juice, garlic, chilli and salt, and sprinkle over the tuna steaks. Pour the water over the top and leave to marinate in a cool place for 1-2 hours.
- Drain the tuna and throw away the marinade. Dredge the tuna with flour and then fry in the oil in a large frying pan until golden brown on both sides. Remove from the pan and keep warm while you make the sauce.
- Add the onion, spring onions and red pepper to the oil in the frying pan and fry gently until softened. Stir in the tomatoes and add the bay leaf. thyme, seasoning and wine or water. Simmer gently for a few minutes.
- Add the tuna steaks to the tomato sauce in the pan. Cover and continue cooking gently for 10 minutes, or until the tuna is cooked. Stir in the lime juice and olive oil, and serve immediately with a garnish of lime wedges.
Preparation: 10 minutes + Marinating Time
Recipe published in Hamlyn Essential Caribbean: Step-by-step Recipes with Style