Stuffed Green Peppers Recipe Ingredients:
- 4 large green peppers
- tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 fresh red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 125g/4oz minced beef
- grated rind of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons cooked rice
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- pinch of paprika
- few chives, chopped
- 4 tomatoes, thinly sliced
- snipped chives, to garnish
How To Make Stuffed Green Peppers:
- Place the peppers in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently until the peppers are tender but still firm. Drain and allow to cool.
- Prepare the stuffing: heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion, garlic and chilli. Fry gently over low heat until the onion is softened and golden brown.
- Add the minced beef and stir well. Continue cooking over low hear until well browned. Add the lemon rind and cooked rice. Season with salt and pepper and paprika. Cook gently for 5 minutes and then stir in the chives.
- Slice the tops off the peppers and scoop out the seeds. Fill with the stuffing and stand in a greased baking tin. Surround with the tomatoes and bake in a preheated oven: at 180°C/350°F/Gas Mark 4 for about 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chives.
Preparation: 15 minutes
Recipe published in Hamlyn Essential Caribbean: Step-by-step Recipes with Style